Monday, July 20, 2015

Chat with S and T


Me: Hello T, Hi S, how are you doing?

S: Great! Enjoying the nice weather! How are you?

Me: good man, busy weekend for me.

T: "The bottom of my feet is hurting, like the pinching, pulling hurt."

Me: "Oh, I get that some times too."

Sorry I missed to introduce.
S and T are the Caucasian couple who lives next door to me (in their mid 30s). Nice happy couple. S told me earlier that they have been dating for few years now and know each other from high school. T is divorced and has three kids. Youngest one is 4. Kids live with their dad. She works at an Italian restaurant not too far from my house.

T: “I am tired of this job. It is frustrating some times. You know I walked 17 miles on valentines day, just by walking inside the restaurant.”

Me: “Wow! That is more than a half marathon!”

T: “I am not kidding” ( reaching out for her mobile phone app to show me that she is not lying), “My legs were hurting so much, I couldn't work the next day.”

Me: “Why do you work so much?”

T: “If it is one of the busy days of the year like Valentines day, I will be constantly running back and forth.
A group of teenage kids will come over, and will keep asking for refills, one after the other. I made 215 dollars that day. “

Me: “Why don't you consider going back to college?”

T: “It is not possible. I may have to start with high school prep courses and it is not cheep.”
“It is the Indo-Pak people I hate the most!” (Out of nowhere)
“Hi my name is …., before I could finish, they will say just water with no ice or coke with no ice. I am like, F*** you too! At least let me tell you my name!”
The kids are loud and throw food all over the place. I have even people ask for cut lemons and sugar, so that they can make lemonade while waiting for food, and they don't have to pay for any of that . At the end they will leave a tip of 8 to 10%“

Swiping through her text messages she shows me the picture of a bill with a 6% tip, some one texted her today.

S: “I always tip well, 20% or more.”

T: “They should understand that I am a server at the restaurant and not their servant!
I live on tips. The owner pays me around $4.50 an hour. In a really good day my total sales will be close $1500. “

Me: "So considering a 15% tip your take home will $225 plus your hourly for the day, right?"

T: “No no no.... 20% of that goes to others, like the people who work in the kitchen, the guy who makes drinks for me.. On top of that I have to also pay tax for the tip amount. “

Me: “oh, that leaves you with only close to 150 dollars”?

T: “Yes, I make close to 25 thousand dollars a year.”
Pointing to her leg, “These muscles are hard”.

Now I am able too see where her frustration was coming from.
I was amazed how soon she was able to put all that down and was showing me the old music boxes she got from her grandma's place and enjoying the pizza S ordered for them.

Later walking back home I was thinking.
I make enough money for a comfortable living and saving for my retirement.
Tomorrow onwards I don't want to be identified as a cheep Desi. More over, if that extra 3 dollars is going to put a smile on her face and make a difference in her life or someone like her, that is the best that $3 can buy for me.

A one bedroom apartment in the complex right next to my town home rents for $1300 month. She won't be even able to afford a toy for her daughter's birthday if she has to live by herself. I am glad she has a boyfriend and has a roof above her head for now.

At the age of 14 my most valued possession was a bicycle. I used to find joy in sharing my bike, shirts and other things with my friends. When did I start seeing money and material things so much more valuable. I may have some sole searching to do here.

Now onwards if I eat out, I will leave at least 20% for the server.






No comments:

Post a Comment